Distribution: It is distributed mainly to extracellular fluid and small amount enter in the fetal circulation.
Metabolism: Oxytocin is metabolised in the kidney and liver.
Excretion: Excreted mainly in the urine.
2. Premature ventricular contractions
3. Postpartum hemorrhage
4. Subarachnoid hemorrhage
5. Pelvic hematoma
8. Cardiac arrhythmia
9. Hypertensive episodes
10. Fatal afibrinogenemia
11. Rupture of the uterus
2. In unfavorable fetal positions (transverse lies, which are undeliverable without conversion prior to delivery)
3. In obstetrical emergencies
4. In fetal distress where delivery is not imminent
5. Where adequate uterine activity fails to achieve satisfactory progress
6. Where the uterus is already hyperactive or hypertonic
7. Invasive cervical carcinoma
8.Active herpes genitalis
9.Total placenta previa, vasa previa
10.Prolapse of the cord
2. Uterine surgery
3. Cervical surgery
4. Uterine sepsis
5. Grand multiparity
6. Overdistended uterus
7. Traumatic delivery
8. Invasive cervical cancer
NEONATES : Contraindicated
2. Augmentation of labour
3. Reduction of postpartum bleeding
4. Induce abortion
5. Oxytocin challenge test
Prostaglandins: Risk of uterine repture & cervical lacerations.
Ergotamine: Synergistic effect in control of post partum haemorrhage.
1. Induction of labour: Initial dose: 0.5- 1 milliunits /minute as IV infusion and if needed rate can be gradually increased by 1 - 2 milliunits/minute until sufficient response is obtained.
2. Augmentation of labour: Initial dose: 2milliunits/minute as intravenous infusion and then gradually increase the dose maximum up to 20milliunits/minute
3. Reduction of postpartum bleeding after expulsion of placenta: 20 - 40 milliunits/minute as intravenous infusion after delivery of placenta.
4. Induce abortion: 10 - 100 milliunits/minutes
5. Oxytocin challenge test to assess fetal distress in high risk pregnancies greater than 31 weeks` gestation: Initial dose: 0.5milliunits/minute followed by gradual increase in infusion rate every 15 minutes up to 20milliunits/minute. When 3 moderate uterine contractions occur in a 10 minute interval then stop the use of medicament.
Home Delivery for Oxytocin in Your City
Medicine India is just a publishing medium for medicine related information and does not provide services or sales of medicines including oxytocin.
However, we do publish a comprehensive directory of Pharmacies, Chemists and Druggists in cities all over India. You can use this directory to find the medicine stores in your city (or area) that provide home delivery services for oxytocin and other medicines and health products. Home delivery services for oxytocin may be free or they may cost you depending on the pharmacy and the minimum order requirements. It would be best to get this clarified while placing the order.
Please be aware that you should take oxytocin only if a doctor has recommended or prescribed it. Some or all pharmacies who provide a home delivery service for medicines might insist on a prescription for oxytocin before they complete the sale. You can get this information while placing the order for oxytocin with the pharmacy.
Oxytocin is a generic medicine name and there are several brands available for it. Some of the brands for oxytocin might be better known than oxytocin itself. If the pharmacy that's willing to deliver medicines to your home doesn't have oxytocin in stock, you can ask for one of the branded alternatives for oxytocin.